Friday, February 11, 2011

9 Major/ 2 Minor ... Traits I Admire in a LEADER

“Just as your fingerprint reveals
who you are on the outside,
your Print reveals

who you are on the inside.” 

The person in the mirror that is staring back at us has been the same person since the first time we checked… Right?  So how is it that we can spend every day with ourselves and not understand why we make the choices we make, act the way we do or understand the way we feel? 

Personality assessments were created to help aid individuals in understanding who we really are by revealing our strengths and weaknesses.  It also helps identify what unconsciously motivates all of our behavior.  Being self-aware is a key component to personal happiness and success. What you discover about yourself might not shock you at all, whereas other things may take you very much by surprise.  By being exposed to these realizations we are presented with the opportunity to further develop and grow as an individual in our personal and professional life.

My print revealed that I was a 9 Major and 2 Minor.  As a 9 Major I strive for peace and harmony while avoiding conflict, discord and discomfort.  I found this to be fairly accurate about my personality. 

I am a natural mediator and try to always respect all sides of a situation which enables me to lead a group. 9/2’s are very empowering and know how to bring the best out in the people they work with.  I often find myself taking on a diplomatic style of leadership and feel as though this has worked for me in the past.  Rather than taking charge and dictating every decision, I allow others to step forward and have the spotlight when possible.  I am usually able to find the best in others and trust that they don’t need to be micro-managed.

As a 9/2 I take a while to get things going which can cause others to see me as complacent, unassertive or a procrastinator. This could cause issues if I were in a place of leadership in a team that was very fast-paced and aggressive. Being aware of these traits leaves room for growth.  I need to strive to find balance between being overly accommodating to others and being overly assertive in order to be well accepted in a position of leadership.

When it comes to communication, my skills are “well developed.”  I enjoy talking with others and finding commonality.  9/2’s are prone to rambling and may choose to speak at moments when focus is more appropriate.  This is something that I strive to keep in mind in regards to communication. I am great at giving praise and credit where it is due.  A characteristic that I find rare is my need for constructive criticism.  I am intrigued by other’s feedback and advice.

As naturally great listeners, 9/2’s like to advise and support those around them.  We are thought to “come alive” when asked to problem solve, especially in people-related issues.  Some observable traits are creativity and innovative ideas/ approaches.  We take a steady and deliberate pace to tasks.

A goal of mine is to remain aware of the pace that the group is moving at so that I am not perceived as a procrastinating foot-dragger.  Other shadow traits to keep in mind that might arise in a problem solving situation is becoming distracted or indecisive.  I personally need to work on prioritizing and decision making skills. I sometimes dread making a decision because of the effects it might have on others. 

Interacting with others in a team environment is a strong point of mine.  I strive to empower others and respect the views and ideas of other team members.  I am genuinely fascinated with the way other people perceive the world and how they will choose to behave in situations they are confronted with.  I am quite receptive when it comes to other people’s emotions and am able to act as the mediator in most groups.  9/2’s are generally easygoing and optimistic which helps boost team morale. 

Identifying and understanding my "best self" behaviors and potential "shadow" behaviors will better equip me to deal with difficult situations with grace as well as help me understand why I respond the way I do to certain things.  Being conscious of my behaviors allows me to take a step back and choose how I want to process the information/ situation and react.

Knowing this information about myself has helped me identify with leadership traits that I admire. What defines a leader? By definition a leader is simply is anyone with a group of willing followers.  Let’s dig a little deeper though.  What is it that draws us to certain individuals and allows us to surrender our trust to them?  There has to be certain traits or qualities a person must possess in order to gain a following.

I selected four leaders that I personally admire for their leadership traits:
  • Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
  • Martin Luther King, Jr.
  • Jeff Campbell
  • Norman Brinker
It wasn’t until after I selected these leaders that I realized they represent the style of leadership that I best connect with.  They all have similar leadership traits.    
Scott Berkun said, "I think leadership comes from integrity - that you do whatever you ask others to do. I think there are non-obvious ways to lead. Just by providing a good example as a parent, a friend, a neighbor makes it possible for other people to see better ways to do things. Leadership does not need to be a dramatic, fist in the air and trumpets blaring, activity."

Most are familiar with Gandhi’s and Martin Luther King, Jr.’s leadership traits.  They lead by example rather than taking on an authoritarian role.  They were peaceful yet assertive rather than aggressive.  They wouldn’t dream of asking others to behave in a manner that they themselves would not.  Good leaders adapt to the circumstances and provide people with inspiration and guidance. 

A quote that I feel best represents Jeff Campbell’s leadership philosophy is:   “It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership.”  - Nelson Mandela

 I took a leadership course from Jeff Campbell. Throughout the course he shared his personal experiences and stories about leadership.  Jeff Campbell has been involved in various aspects of the Hospitality industry and held many different leadership roles.  His leadership traits are what have made him so successful.  Not only is he extremely knowledgeable and competent, but he is humble and has learned to accept his leadership role with grace.  He has a very commanding presence yet manages to find a balance without being intimidating, overpowering or belittling his followers. 
“Leaders must be close enough to relate to others, but far enough ahead to motivate them.” - John Maxwell

Norman Brinker
Jeff Campbell was a close friend of Mr. Norman Brinker and possesses many of the same leadership traits.  They both believe in leading and inspiring their followers indefinitely.  They both shared the views of Tom Peters who stated that “Leaders don't create followers, they create more leaders.”  Jeff Campbell and Norman Brinker are not afraid of empowering others to the extent of being “outshined.”  In fact, they strive to create leaders who will continually be in a constant state of growth and self development.  These traits are what I find most admirable about these leaders.


A leader should be empowering, inspirational, passionate, empathetic, enthusiastic, honest, dedicated, knowledgeable, and have integrity, the ability to adapt & the endurance to conquer whatever adverse obstacles they encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment