Friday, February 11, 2011

Welcome to Coffee Con Krystal Ann!

Just a bit of background about myself: I was born and raised in a small city in Northern California.  I decided to move to Sunny San Diego because it just seems like a city that has it all: glorious weather, exciting dance studios, thrilling theme parks, a world-class zoo and wild animal park, balboa park, museums, sport teams… and I won’t lie and say that the 70 miles of gorgeous beaches didn’t help with the decision. With such a fabulous atmosphere, where there is always something to do, how could I not come to San Diego!  I am now a student studying Hospitality and Tourism Management at San Diego State University.  Throughout my education in this program I have been enrolled in many courses that challenge me to explore my thoughts and views on leadership.  I have created this blog to share my thoughts, views and experiences involving the mentors I have had in my life so far, and the experiences that have shaped my ever changing views on leadership.

Throughout Middle School and High School, I made an attempt to be in every club, organization and group imaginable.  This was probably the best thing that I could have done for myself.  Growing up in a very diverse community, I felt it was exceedingly essential to become a part of these organizations in order to gain a better understanding of the different cultures that surrounded me.  I believe that in order to fully embrace each other and show respect for our cultural differences we must make an honest attempt to understand one another.

Below, I have listed my involvement in the groups, organizations and clubs that have helped shape my views and experiences of leadership:


C.J.S.F. - “California Junior Scholarship Federation” C.J.S.F. is an academic honor society that recognizes 7th and 8th grade students who meet the high academic criteria established by the organization.  I held the C.J.S.F. Secretary position during 8th grade.  We planned events such as: car washes, bake sales, book sales, rummage sales, fundraisers, Salvation Army Christmas Tree donation for a family, St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital fundraiser, and other various school events.

Leadership Class- This development class encouraged students to become potential leaders.  Leadership gave me a chance to meet my peers and faculty.  It also granted me a voice and avenue to share my ideas, suggestions and opinions.  Leadership taught me to respect and appreciate cultural differences, and to accept individual uniqueness. 
 In 5th and 6th grade I was the Class Representative. In seventh grade, I was the 7th Grade Liaison.  In 8th grade, I was elected to be the Commissioner of Technology. In 10th and 11th grade I was the Class Secretary at Yuba City High School. 

YCHS ASB- “Associated Student Body”
I was the 2008 ASB Secretary of Yuba City High School.  The student members of YCHS ASB are responsible for organizing assemblies, dances, lunch time activities, athletic events, recognition events, support activities and helping with registration procedures.  I also served as the Alumni Committee Chair during homecoming.

Assistant Teacher- I volunteered as an assistant teacher at Jacque’s Dance Expressions.  I assistant taught five different classes throughout the week.  In these classes, I worked together with the studio owner to choreograph recital dances for the children. I also was asked to choreograph a competitive solo for a fellow competition member. This was a very big commitment and helped me learn about time management.

Girl Scouts- I was a Girl Scout and member of an active troop for twelve years.  As girls get older, they tend to drop out of Girl Scouts, because they think it isn’t the coolest thing to do, but I stayed in it to set a good example for the younger girls.  I went around to younger troops and spoke about what Girl Scouts meant to me, and the endless opportunities it has given me.  Girl Scouts gave me an opportunity to reach out to our community.  Our troop did so many service projects and tried to help out in the community as much as possible. 
               I completed my Girl Scout Silver Project.  I organized the 1st ever Yuba Sutter area “Take a Girl to Golf Day”.  This event was open to the first 80-100 girls in girl scouts or open to girls in our community ranging from ages 7-17.

Miss Teen Yuba Sutter 2003-3004- I was crowned Miss Teen Yuba Sutter 03-04 and had the opportunity to attend over 110 of our local community events and fundraisers.

Yuba Sutter Jr. Fair Board- I was the 2005 Vice President, 2006 President and then the 2007 Vice President.  I ran and helped prepare the meetings.  We host events throughout the year and make decisions that will benefit the youth in our community.  

SDSU Meetings & Events  Student Association Video Music Awards Décor Committee- Member: Fall of 2008

SDSU Meetings & Events  Student Association Video Music Awards Sponsorship Committee- Chair: Spring of 2009

SDSU Meetings & Events  Student Association Video Music Awards- Director

SDSU Meetings & Events  Student Association - Vice President 2010-2011
The following organizations I was highly involved in during High School but did not hold officer positions in due to time constraints.

C.S.F- “California Scholarship Federation”
This group emphasizes high standards of service, scholarship, and citizenship for California high school students. I was a member of this group during my entire time at Yuba City High School.

Interact Club- This is a program that gives young people an opportunity to participate in fun, meaningful service projects while developing leadership skills and meeting new friends. 
               
Key Club- Key club is also a community service oriented group.  I was also involved with this club during my time at Yuba City High School. 

A.P.I.S.U.- “Asian Pacific-Islander Student Union” Membership in APISU is open to all students who have a desire to understand, share and learn about the various cultures of Asia and the Pacific Islands.  I became part of this club because I feel that it is important to know about other cultures that surround me.  YCHS is a diverse campus and I feel it is important to embrace each other by showing support for our differences.

YCHS Girl’s Golf Team- I was on the YCHS Girl’s Golf Team during my sophomore year. 

The Flock- (Pep Club) The Flock is a fun group that is in charge of brain storming ways to get students more involved and have more school spirit.

Cheerleading- I was a cheerleader for the Yuba City Football Junior Honkers when I was younger.  Unfortunately, my schedule wouldn’t allow time for this team when I entered High School.  Although I was not a cheerleader during my time at YCHS, I was asked to choreograph and teach the Varsity Cheer Audition routine.  I accepted the request and took it very seriously. I enjoy being a part of other school groups and helping out when I had time.

Honor Roll- In addition to the clubs I participate in, my grades are my number one priority.  I have been placed on the honor role every year. 

Girl Scout Golf Club
- I was in the LPGA USGA Girl Scout Golf Club for 4 years. Through this I was able work as a runner for the Twelve Bridges Golf Pro-Am tournament two years in a row. The second year I participated I was asked to help train the new runners.

Dance- I have been training and taking classes since I was three years old.  Throughout High School, I took 8 technique classes, 10 competition classes and assistant taught 5 classes.  As a member of the competition team at Jacque’s Dance Expressions I had the opportunity to travel and compete in various locations.  As part of the competition team, I have taken master classes and attended many conventions and workshops which I feel has broadened my horizons to the endless possibilities at large events. 

SDSU Dance Team- I was a member during my first two years of college.  We performed/volunteered at many events such as: Street Scene, San Diego PKD run, Boulevard Boo Parade, March of Dimes, Festival of Friendship, and the ShamRock event downtown on St. Patrick’s Day. 

I have never been known to have free time.  Ever since middle school, I have tried to be in any and every group possible.   It is easy to see that I love being active in my society and enjoy working with people.  Through my involvement with all of these associations, I have gained excellent communication and negotiating skills, a passion for community and customer service, project management and problem-solving skills.  I am very hard-working, enthusiastic, detail oriented person with the ability to relate effectively to a wide range of people.

I began my journey at San Diego State University as a Dance Major.  I completed one semester and decided that I was looking for more out of my education.  After speaking with a few HTM majors, I realized that Hospitality was the industry for me.  I love people, being active and planning events.  I am currently completing my last year as a Hospitality and Tourism Management major and I am still exploring the endless options and possibilities it has to offer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment